Friday 29 February 2008

What Would Happen If We Were Radical?

I'm currently reading The Life of D. L. Moody. Yes, it is a rather large volume but I'm working my way through. And as I always do when I read accounts of godly men and women of the past, I look at myself and ask many questions. I'll get to that in a minute.

In the introduction, the writer speaks about Dr. R. A. Torrey, a close friend and associate of D. L. Moody and the seven points Torrey described in answer to why God chose to use Moody.

1. "He was a fully surrendered man."
2. "Mr. Moody was in the deepest and most meaning sense a man of prayer."
3. "He was a deep and practical student of the Word of God."
4. "He was a humble man."
5. "His entire freedom from the love of money."
6. "His consuming passion for the salvation of the lost."
7. "He had a very definite enduement with power from on high, a very clear and definite baptism with the Holy Ghost."

So this leads me to a few points to ponder. These seven characteristics, can people say these things of us? Are we really fully surrendered to Christ ready to do whatever, whenever, wherever if He so calls us? I really wonder what would happen if we started to live radical lives like those we love to read about. Can people say of us that they see the love of God in all that we do? We're becoming lukewarm, although we ourselves would never say that. We have this fear of man that we don't even want to talk about Jesus because we're afraid of what the world will think and that's when the devil starts rejoicing. I often think it's time for us to go through some physical persecution to see what our faith is really made of. Are you in a position that God can use you?

"Someday you will read in the papers that D. L. Moody, of East Northfield, is dead. Don't you believe a word of it! At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now, I shall have gone up higher, that is all; out of this old clay tenement into a house that is immortal --- a body that death cannot touch; that sin cannot taint; a body fashioned like unto His glorious body.
I was born of the flesh in 1837. I was born of the Spirit in 1856. That which is born of the flesh may die. That which is born of the Spirit will live forever."
-- D. L. Moody

3 comments:

  1. What a thought! Very challenging.....thank you for posting that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, Margaret! It was quite convicting . . . you asked some poignant questions.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margaret!

    You've been tagged! You can go to my blog to read the rules. :-)

    ReplyDelete