Friday 31 August 2012

Wisdom Meets Passion

Wisdom Meets Passion by Dan Miller and Jared Angaza is written by a father and son team.  It blends the wisdom of the older Baby Boomer generation and the passion of the younger to show how you can live a meaningful life.  The older generation put a lot of emphasis on secure jobs and retirement plans while the younger generation wants to make a difference in the world.  This team of authors shows readers how to blend wisdom and passion to live a purposeful life and do work that matters.

Wisdom Meets Passion is an inspiring and motivational book.  There are lots of inspirational quotes throughout the book, but the authors never use them to make up for lack of content. I appreciated the perspective on non-traditional forms of education and entrepreneurship, as well as Dan's emphasis on having a clear, specific mission statement for your life.  He encourages readers to blend their passions, talents and skills and apply them to do work they love.  I could also identify with the challenges he faced through his conservative Mennonite upbringing and I believe he addresses these challenges in a respectful manner.

I did not agree with some of the theological ideas in this book.  I admired Jared's passion and life of service in Africa, but I was a little turned off by his great emphasis on philanthropy without much of a focus on Christ.

Overall, I enjoyed and learned a lot from this book.  It left me inspired and caused me to reconsider applying my skills and talents to pursue an entrepreneurial venture.  I would definitely recommend this book to people who have a desire to live above the mediocre expectations of this world and try new things.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher through Booksneeze.com and was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment