Friday 3 February 2012

Germany & France

The traveler has returned!  And now I finally have time to post.  I recently spent a week in Germany and France on a work trip and now that I'm back home I'm struggling to adjust to a new life.  I'm adjusting to not having as much time to read, write, study, blog and all the other fun things I'm used to doing.

My trip to Europe was mainly business, but I didn't have a chance to be a tourist and do a little sightseeing.  I didn't take any amazing pictures (the ones below I pulled from Google), but I will try to detail some of the highlights.  Oh, perhaps for the "lowlights" first. Sitting on a plane for nine hours in one spot is too long.  Riding trains with a lot of luggage is terrible, especially when you're in a new place and don't know what you're doing.  And the people drive almost like maniacs in the cities.  No stop signs on many intersections, no stopping for pedestrians.  Just drive.  I was very thankful I didn't have to drive.

I was staying in the Black Forest region of Germany, not far from France and had a view of snow on the mountains and pansies growing in the towns below.  I could hardly believe I was seeing flowers growing outside in the winter.  I worked and spent time with some great people while there.  I spent several days in Strasbourg, France, just over the Rhine River.  Beautiful city!  Everything in Germany and France has a completely different flare from Canada.  I was able to spend an evening touring Strasbourg and saw the Catholic cathedral.  I didn't go in, but I should have.  This cathedral was completed before Columbus sailed the world and was once the tallest building in the world.


I also spent a day in town in Germany and went to see the Schauenburg Castle ruins.  This castle was built almost a thousand years ago.  Normally, you have a beautiful view and can see all the way to Strasbourg, but it was very foggy/misty when we went up.  It was unfortunate, cause it was quite the uphill climb to get there.  But I have now seen a German castle ruin.
 

Those are probably the most exciting points of my trip.  My life has taken on my dramatic change this year and at this point, I'm not sure where that leaves my blog.  I hope I can keep writing, but only time will tell.

1 comment: