Tuesday 11 October 2011

Adam Young: Music and Blog

Today I reveal another one of my secrets.  That is, my enjoyment of Adam Young's music and blog.  Owl City, for those of you who don't recognize the name.  There, I said it.  I don't doubt some of my readers will be surprised at my interest in his genre of music (electro pop), but truth be told, it is just SO MUCH FUN!!!  It has a happiness effect.  Yes, I know there are many starry-eyed girls out there who dream of marrying him, but rest assured, I am NOT one of them.

Adam's music is hard to describe.  It's like he lives in a totally different world.  His imagination is simply incredible!  His lyrics range from fun, romantic, colourful, thoughtful, intense, to just plain cute and sweet!  Sure, half of his lines don't make any sense, but that makes it all the more fun!

I can't remember when I was first introduced to Owl City, but I'm guessing it was likely when "Fireflies" became a hit.  Shortly thereafter, I was surprised to discover that the singer, Adam Young, was a Christian!  The only song on his album "Ocean Eyes" that reflected his faith was "Meteor Shower."  His new album "All Things Bright and Beautiful" reflects his faith much more, which disappointed many of his fans, but I for one loved it.  The most overtly Christian, and probably also my favourite song on his recent album is "Galaxies."  The song is actually about Adam's perspective of the 1986 space shuttle Challenger explosion, and he also has an introduction fitting for it.  He also does a beautiful cover of the hymn "In Christ Alone".  I could write brief commentaries on almost all his songs, but then this would get entirely too long.

I've also been following Adam's blog.  Did I mention he was an excellent writer?  His blog displays his imagination and creativity as much as his music.  Being an extreme introvert, he shared an article a few months back called "10 Myths About Introverts."  Almost everything in that article describes me.  I loved it!  He writes romantic little stories like "I'll See You in My Dreams" and "I'll Follow You" that will make any girl's heart flutter.  He also writes about his trusting God to be bring that special girl into his life.  I was so encouraged by the following words at the end of his article "Sharks Keep Moving":

"Above and beyond all of this, I take great joy and comfort in knowing my Savior has it all blueprinted and planned down to the tiniest detail, and that my job isn’t to blubber and worry about the design — but to hush. To be concerned with the principles of morality, servanthood, discipleship and character, and ultimately, to trust.
For what is faith without trust?"

I've also appreciated his more devotional like posts, where he shares his insights on scripture and also his recent thoughts on John Piper's book Desiring God.  It made me want to read that book again.

Christians have varying thoughts on Owl City, but there's much I have learned and appreciated through him.  I think he sees beauty in this world that we often miss and he knows how to capture it and put it into words.  Sometimes that means it doesn't make any real sense, but it places in me a sense of wonder and awe.  I'm inspired to dream and use my God-given imagination and open my eyes to the beauty around me.  And, well, like I said, it's fun and makes me happy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment