Sunday 28 November 2010

Not to Be Taken Lightly

I came to a somewhat frightening realization this week. I started to notice that in my way of thinking, I was starting to take Christ's sacrifice lightly. I was starting to develop a mentality that what He did for me is really not that big of a deal. I was belittling my salvation.

If we're not careful, this can happen easily, often without realizing it. We handle our salvation carelessly and forget what it is that Jesus actually gave up and suffered to forgive us and grant us eternal life. And likewise, we can do the same thing with our eternal destination and that of others.

Of course it's easy to see many people who are careless about their salvation. They claim to be Christians but live just like the world, indulging in all that it offers and living in blatant sin. Instead of striving for holiness, they wave it off with grace, a God-loves-me-anyway line, or since I prayed a prayer on such-and-such a day, I'm saved and will go to heaven when I die. But we can be careless in our way of thinking just as easily, and that will eventually affect the way we live.

Now, I'm not about to drag any eternal security doctrine into this. I'm still not sure myself where I stand on that matter. I hold an idea that goes more like "know you're saved, love God, love others, obey His Word and walk with Him." If you're doing that, eternal security isn't even a question that people need to grapple with.

I was reminded of a few verses of scripture as I was thinking on this issue.

Hebrews 2:1
"Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip." (KJV)
Hebrews 2:3a
"how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?" (ESV)

Philippians 2:12, 13
"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." (ESV)

Don't take Christ's sacrifice lightly. Thank Him constantly, remembering your lost, wretched condition and the great price He paid to redeem you. I think this is a key factor in walking in righteousness. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment