Tuesday 21 October 2008

Fulfillment in Christ

I generally don't have a whole lot of time to read books, especially novels. Never mind, that good Christian novels are hard to find. When I do read novels, I like ones that give me something to chew on, something of practical value I can relate to my own life. I found this almost immediately reading Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione by Chuck Black:

"Duncan, I know your heart belongs to the King and the Prince. You are also a knight who yearns for adventure. But you'll soon learn there is no need. Adventure will surely find you as you follow the course set for you by the Prince....Don't be tempted to ride for glory as other knights do. Such a quest is an empty one...."

Duncan did have potential, though....He was a sturdy, broad-shouldered fellow, and he would grow stronger and mightier in the years ahead if he kept his focus on the Prince and not upon himself. And if he could learn to control himself better--for Duncan's chief weakness was his lack of self-discipline.

I can definitely identify with this in my own life. I need to shift my focus back to Jesus because it has turned to myself. What do I want (or not want)? What seems reasonable or makes sense to me? And, I tend to seek the praise and approval of others than just to simply please God. And, yes, adventure will come! I often say that the Christian life is the greatest adventure you could live because you never know what's waiting around the next corner. Another challenge is obedience. We must remember Who we are living for and His calling for our lives instead of wanting to go our own way. It is in His will that we will find fulfillment.

We have potential, but we must exercise discipline, for that is what it means to be a disciple.

5 comments:

  1. This is really good! Sounds like a book with a lot of meat in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret,
    Greetings!
    I stumbled upon your blog, and thought I would leave a word or two.

    That books sounds like a good Christian book portraying the believer's life. If I am not mistaken, is he the same author of the Kingdom Series?

    Have a Great Day!
    Maggie(Margaret)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often say that the Christian life is the greatest adventure you could live because you never know what's waiting around the next corner.

    I couldn't agree with you more- I love this adventure of trusting the Lord!

    Thank you so much for your comment, I have really come to value your words.

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is the same author as the Kingdom Series. I haven't read those, but they're apparently really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so true..

    Like the character Duncan, I often find myself looking more to myself than to Christ and so in the process get quite bewildered about everything.

    It's only when we look to Jesus that we find all the peace and rest we so need in this troubled world.

    I've never read a book by that author yet. I'd like to read that book.

    Blessings,
    Raine

    ReplyDelete